Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 4
1 1/2 lbs sweet or hot Italian sausages links
1 1/3 cups green bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1” x ¼” strips
1 can Italian-style or plum tomatoes, including liquid (28 oz)
1 can tomato puree (10 3/4 oz)
1 tsp garlic cloves, chopped finely
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup basil, fresh, chopped finely, firmly packed
Salt & pepper to taste
1 lb ziti or penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
Fresh parsley, chopped
Parmesan cheese, grated
Pre-heat oven to 350ºF.
1. BAKE sausage links in oven for 20 minutes or until completely cooked. Cut sausages in half lengthwise; then cut into 1/2" slices. Result will be semi-circles of sausage. Set aside.
2. SAUTE pepper slices in olive oil until their crispness is lost, but not soft.
3. CHOP tomatoes or use a food processor on “pulse”; do not puree tomatoes.
4. COMBINE chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, olive oil and fresh basil in sauce pan. Bring to a simmer. Add sausage pieces and pepper pieces and stir well.
5. TRANSFER cooked, drained pasta to large serving platter. Top with sausage & pepper marinara mixture.
6. GARNISH with parsley and grated Parmesan cheese